Turkish Embassy in Tirana

Embassy


Diplomatic relations between Albania and Turkey were established with the Friendship Agreement signed in 1923.

The first Turkish diplomatic mission was opened as a Consulate in the city of Vlora in 1925, which was replaced by the Embassy in Tirana inaugurated in 1926.

After the Italian occupation of Albania in 1939, the Embassy was closed and a Consulate General was set up. Upon the request of the communist regime which assumed power in 1945, the Consulate General was also closed and the bilateral relations were suspended. In the following period, upon the demand of the Albanian side, Turkey opened a Legation in 1958 and the bilateral relationships were upgraded to Ambassadorial level in 1966.

Offices of the Military Attaché and of the Commercial Counselor were set up respectively in 1992 and 2007.

The Embassy’s original building on the Durres Street was handed over to the Federal Republic of Yugoslavia in the 1950s. During the period 1959-2006 the Embassy was located in the Kavaja Street, and  in 2006 moved to its current location.